I am always on a quest for something and this summer was no exception...it was the elusive black pocket chart. I needed the pocket chart for our Daily 5 rounds (actually Daily 3 in our class). I really wanted black, rather than a primary color, to tie in with our classroom color scheme. Plus, I wanted the choice cards to really stand out.
After much searching around on the Internet, I finally started to give up. Then, by chance, I was struck with inspiration in Target when I saw these business card holders. They were the perfect size and I loved how they had the black strip at the top. I decided I would hot glue the black strip on a black sheet, like this one. I believe I paid about $8.00 for a single panel.
It took about 30 minutes to glue the entire thing. I liked how there were so many pockets (108 altogether!) and that there would be a lot of flexibility in how to display the choice cards. Here is a picture of the finished produce on my driveway. I'm sure my neighbors think I am crazy, as I am always hauling some strange teaching project outside in the summer!
Here is a picture with some of the choice cards inside the chart. I have been doing the Daily 3 each day in class, but I must admit the math rounds did not work out for us this year so those cards are gone!
And one more picture, from when I first hung up the chart this summer. It looks a bit different now with the student name cards and choices we use right now in our Daily 3.
This has worked out better than I expected. The hot glue on the strip has kept the business card holders on very strongly. The curtain has some stretchiness and give, which is great for when the kids are using the chart.